Friday, April 06, 2007

Worrying

Stanley Kubrick, a hero of mine, apparently remarked “If the Labourites ever get in, I’ll leave the country.”

If he were alive today, he'd probably have left the country by now.

These Orwellian talking-CCTV-cameras are extremely worrying development, though apparently this is a minority view I hold, according to Home Secretary John Reid.

Over this mornings hot-cross buns and coffee, the guys, girls and I discussed this. Some put forth the view that it didn't matter since they wouldn't break the law. However, I think this view falls down after some extrapolation.

Firstly, I think everyone acts differently when they're knowingly surveiled. Apprently Foucault would agree.

Secondly, do you think it's right for someone to be publicly humiliated for an act which could be totally innocent?

Thirdly, it sets precedent. Whilst I don't wish to take the slippery-slope fallacy, the significance of legal precedence must not be ignored.

Finally, it should be worrying that this is how the Labour party acts these days. Some might say that the Tories would be worse, and that's potentially true, but not necessarily.

Shadow home affairs minister James Brokenshire said the government should be "very careful" over the cameras.

Hopefully people haven't forgotten the origins of 1984's INGSOC.

On the other hand, I also agree it's possible the Tories could be even worse, and Orwell was hardly a Tory anyway.

Again, as I maintain, both sides are flawed.

On that note, I think I'll go pickup a 2nd hand copy of 1984, it's been too long.

No comments: