Friday, June 06, 2008

Ma Jiang

I saw another film by Edward Yang called Ma Jiang. On the DVD I have it also gives the English name as Couples, but I'm not sure if that's right.

The last film of his I saw was A One and a Two, which I really liked. Ma Jiang is quite a different film- certainly a much more disturbing film- but also well worth seeing.

One of the odd things about the film is the performances by the foreign actors. It's not that they're poorly acted roles, but rather just a bit odd. The easiest way to describe it might be as though they delivered the lines as though they were acting in a David Lynch or Peter Greenaway film; very deliberately, very slowly. I'm not sure if it was intentional on behalf of the director, but the result is the film takes on a sort of surreal quality.

It turns out to be a good mixture though, especially since the film starts off relatively innocently and slowly twists and descends.

I'll have to keep my eye out for more Edward Yang films, especially one he did with Christopher Doyle, That Day on the Beach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm searching this movie for years now. Today I found your blog about it. I saw this movie about 10 years ago on german TV and loved it. I really want to buy this movie but can't find it anywhere. Maybe you can help me because it seems you have a dvd of that movie. Can you please contact me via us1@softhome.net
I would be very thankful.
Regards
Udo