Friday, February 09, 2007

'Midnight' Garrett and 'Dog' Turnbull

It's hard work keeping up with politics these days. Just recently, a work colleague of mine remarked: "It's hard work keeping up with politics." This was after I had exclamed my frustration at being called in to work last evening, thereby missing the 7.30 Report debate between the new Minister and Shadow Minister of Environment.

After reading the transcript, I thought it'd be timely to introduce the two men, after what I've read of their MP websites.

Peter Garrett was once vocalist and interpretive dancer for the band Midnight Oil.
"For me, music is still the food of life and books remain the great reservoir of imagination and insight, ie the good stuff for us all to draw on." he explains on his website.
Garrett's days as a street performer of mime.

Malcom Turnbull was, and remains, a prominent lover of dogs.
"Malcolm Turnbull, Wentworth's own Federal Member loves dogs. He has three of his own – a red cattle dog, Rusty and two Maltese silkies, Jojo and Mellie." thus explains his website.

Amazingly, the Hounds of the Turnbulls are no strangers to mass-communication. They maintain blogs of their own. Unfortunately, this often results in confusion as to the author of the articles.

For example,

"Today I had a bath. There. I have written this awful truth.

Most of the time I dont have baths. The little terriers are always getting washed.... And they don't seem to mind. In fact, I suspect Mellie likes being washed. She changes colour and goes from a muddy white colour to what she likes to think is champagne blonde! What a laugh.

Anyway, I resist baths. But sometimes, it catches up with me and so I found myself in the bathtub being scrubbed, a small boy called Luca was assisting with great glee. Weeks and weeks of carefully accumulated smells washed away."

Now, given that Turnbull is an advocate of water conservation, could not this article have been written by him? A stoic, eccentric man, who rumours have it*, once proclaimed to the press
"Bath? I know no bath". The same rumour also holds that this was Turnbull's justification of the Ba'thist Cleansing policy in Iraq.


Turnbull with Wife, Son, Daughter and Hounds.

*This rumour was started by me


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good to finally get a picture of turnbull's son... so I can punch him out in the street.