Saturday, June 06, 2009

Exotic Tattoos

Once I was sitting in a Cairns cafe with my then-girlfriend, who was literate in Chinese. She burst out laughing in the midst of our breakfast and I turned around to see what was up. I saw a tough looking bloke in a singlet, who had a Chinese character tattooed on his shoulder. Here's what must have happened:

***

This bloke goes into the tattoo parlor and asks the artist, "Give me the Chinese character for 'man'"
The artist looks up his folder for the correct character. There it is, man. And so the shoulder goes under the knife, ink goes in, and all is as it should be.

Or is it?

See, the thing was that it was not the character that means man, but the character that was pronounced man. With the fourth tone. Written:

And that word means slow.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen girls with 妓 tattooed on them -- I imagine they actually wanted the word "slut" on them (or maybe, more charitably, "hottie"), in which case the tattoo is just doubly wrong.

Cooper said...

Argghh...the question is, whether one should indulge in letting the person know.